(click here for a PDF Version of this Moving Checklist)
2 Months Before:
- Sort through your closets, drawers, and cupboards to clean out what you don’t want or need. Hold a yard sale, or donate what you don’t want to charity.
- Take inventory of anything of value that you plan to move and determine the replacement cost for insurance purposes. (photos are a great way to document items)
- Obtain estimates from several movers and choose one.
6 weeks Before:
- Finalize your real estate or rental needs in your new location.
- If moving out of town, make travel arrangements.
- Notify your kid’s schools of your move and new schools for enrollment information.
- Get copies of school records and send them to the new schools.
- Obtain copies of medical records for each family member.
- Ask for recommendations for doctors in your new location.
- Contact David Call with Ryan Everet Insurance at 940-268-5112 or www.texasautohome.com to get your insurance set up for your next home.
1 Month Before:
- Alert utility companies to disconnect services a day or so after you move and to have services connected several days before moving to the new location.
- If necessary, arrange for storage in the new location.
- If you’re packing your house yourself, get supplies and start packing boxes.
1 Week Before:
- If you’re packing up yourself, finish up!
- Confirm travel arrangements if needed.
- Arrange payment or deposit for movers.
- Get some cash to have around to tip movers.
- Print some directions to your new home for the moving company, confirm delivery date, and make sure the moving company knows your phone number and itinerary.
- Complete change of address forms at the post office and send notices to creditors, friends, banks, and any other businesses you deal with regularly.
- Notify your employer of your new contact information.
- Pack suitcases you plan to live out of for the moving days.
- Go alongside the mover as they inventory your stuff and make condition reports.
- Sign the bill of lading and inventory making sure the address is correct and keep copies in a safe place.
- Lock windows, turn off lights, close doors, and make a final sweep to make sure nothing is left behind.
- Enjoy your new home!